Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Plans of Man

On Thursday nothing went according to plan. As the leader of our team, I have spent months and hundreds of hours in preparation for this trip. I had many detailed conversations with contacts in India about what we would do and see in our time here. I worked through itineraries and arrangements. And it just didn’t work.

I’m trying hard to lead, but I’m learning that communication is hard and no matter what plans you make they will change. Here is what I mean. I talk to our Indian hosts, make plans, then communicate them to our team, only to have them change. And then change again. And then change again.

Conversations go something like this:

“I’d like to go to a village” “A village?” “Yes, a village.” “Great, we’ll go to a village.”

Then we get in the van and drive for four hours. And the van pulls into a silk factory.

Then we find it out the silk factory isn’t even open. Because the factory says today is a holiday.

You can’t make stuff like this up.

“What about the village?” I ask. “Oh, I thought you would like to go to this silk factory, so we went there instead. But it is closed. Maybe you’d like to see a palace and ride elephants now.”

“Umm, ok. Sure. Let’s ride some elephants.”

So we all get off the van, my team looking at me like I am crazy since I spent the morning prepping them to go to a village. Then we drive four hours back in crazy traffic with everyone exhausted—not having seen a village, a school (the original plan for the day) or a silk factory.

Another time we went to a restaurant. I ordered some food but when the dishes arrived they were all different from what I had ordered. When I asked about it the staff told me that I did not really want what I had ordered so they brought me something else instead.

I know Americans are task oriented and efficiency is king, and I know India is not like that. But man, did India stretch me on Thursday.

I guess God is trying to teach me something here. India is a lot like life. We make our plans and decide what we are going to do and how we are going to do it. Where we’ll live, what careers we’ll have, what our families will look like. We have pictures in our minds of how everything will work out.

But God often has a different plan in store. And in the end, if God wants us to ride elephants, we’ll ride elephants. No matter what we have planned.

--MB

3 comments:

zl said...

Wow. Your blogs bring to light so many things that are beyong words and understanding to us here in America. We will continue to pray for your safety and success!
Laurie

vickagler said...

I cannot wait to hear the "whole Story." I have prayed for you every day and now pray for your safe return. I as so touched by your posting at the clinic. So very proud of all of you!

Unknown said...

Hey Spur, I knew when I read the title that it was hard for you. I know it's hard to let go of our plans - especially when we've put so much work into it. It's hard to not be in control - especially when you feel responsible for leading a group. But, you did lead in how you responded. God is unpredictable. We are not. "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." (John 3:8). But we want everything planned out. In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord directs his steps (Prov 16:9).

God's got plans for your trip. Follow His lead, even if it doesn't follow your agenda. it will probably be better... ;)

Love you and praying for you.

Ces.