Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Dream Realized

Yesterday was one of the hardest days I’ve had in years. Today was one of the best. I guess that’s how things work in India. High highs and low lows.

One year ago we stood in Dharmapuri, a town in southern India, and met a man named Tangaraj and his wife Amooda. He was working at a small, humble clinic that helped Dalits with AIDS.

I’m not sure there is a more ostracized group in the world than untouchables with AIDS. I once visited an AIDS hospital in the US and was given a mask to wear to separate myself from the patients there. I remember feeling sorry for the AIDS patients, that even the few visitors who came to see them separated themselves with masks. How much worse would it be to be an untouchable, told you are unclean and lower than an animal from birth, and also have AIDS? Their untouchable relatives also have cast these people out of their families.

One year ago, Tangaraj told us of his dream to build an AIDS hospital and showed us some land and a pile of bricks where he dreamed of a facility that could help the sickest of the sick. His dreams touched my heart.

When we returned and shared this experience, Emily and I met with leaders, made proposals, communicated with reps in India, and spent many, many hours in prayer for this sacred acre in Dharmapuri. We asked our church to give a major financial gift to build the hospital. Our church agreed to send $20,000 to help make this dream a reality.

Today I got to stand with Tangaraj in front of the completed hospital. It was beautiful. To some, it would just look like a building. But to me it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. And I can’t possibly articulate how wonderful it was to be there with Emily, Tangaraj, and our team.

-MB


1 comment:

Shelley said...

I was hoping this post would be up today. THANKS! The clinic looks great - and so do all of you. I am sure you are weary but it is good to see the smiles on your faces. Also, I am so glad to hear you paid the extra 50Rs for the elephant ride for foreigners -- but I am sure I am not the only one who wants to know what that extra Rs gets ya! As I write, if my time zone calculation is correct, I imagine all of you enjoying a good night's rest to be ready for Sunday in India. We'll be joining in the celebration in Denver less than 24 hours too. Many blessings!