Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Responding to India


In the face of all that we saw in India over the last two weeks, I find myself with two responses:
1) The problem of the untouchables in India is so overwhelming, so huge, so incredible. This is so much bigger than I thought, larger than I ever could have imagined.
2) After seeing what I've seen, I must do SOMETHING. I cannot go back to my life like it was before. I have to respond.

The Dalit Freedom Network, the group that sent us on the trip, is choosing to do something. They can't fix the entire nation of India, and they can't correct all of the wrongs that are being done to 250 million people. But instead of being overwhelmed by the problem, they are choosing to do something.

DFN is concentrating its efforts on building schools to empower, equip, and educate the Dalits and make sustainable change. We had the opportunity to visit four of these schools, see how their operations work, and play with the kids that go there.

At every stop we were treated like royalty. On Tuesday, after driving for five hours by van to a remote village in Southern India, we arrived to a welcoming ceremony fit for kings. 470 children, dressed in uniforms and standing at attention in military rows, greeted us with a procession of flags. These people that have absolutely nothing provided us with seats on honor on a stage in front of the school and placed garlands of beautiful and fragrant marigolds and roses around our necks.

After our welcoming ceremony we talked and played with the children, who eagerly ran to us with wide smiles and open arms. "Good morning sir, what is your name?" "What is your father's name?" "How do you like India?" "What is your favorite Indian dish?"

These children are learning English, which will open doors and future possibilities for them for
jobs and a future. Some of the children I met told me they wanted to become doctors, lawyers, and engineers, futures they couldn't even dream of without these schools.

An administrator of the school may have stated it best when he said, "There is a saying in our country that when you open a school you close a prison." By getting an education these children will have opportunities to change deep patterns of abuse and oppression and provide for their families.

Little girls who would have been sold into prostitution can now work and earn money to provide for their families. Little boys who would may have led lives of crime can now find jobs.

And the joy and excitement of these children was heart warming. I taught some boys how to play baseball, which they had never seen before, and they taught me cricket. We did arts and crafts and even had a rousing rendition of "If You're Happy and You Know It" with 60 first graders.

DFN has built 82 schools throughout India, and has a goal of building 1,000. These schools are radically changing an entire culture, and are working to free an oppressed people.

Traveling to India has been an eye-opening experience. The extent of the poverty here is mind boggling. But these schools are bringing hope, and they are an inspiration.

I can't change India. But if I can help build one of these schools, I can do something. And after seeing India with my own eyes, I have no choice but to do something.

--MB

2 comments:

Shelley said...

It's great to be back in the U.S. and to review the blog and relive our trip. Thanks E&M for all the time and energy you have devoted to this BLOG. I look forward to more posts as you reflect on this amazing experience. I am so blessed to have been a part of this trip to India with you!

Unknown said...

Wow, Michael, what a moving story. To see a people so devalued, that are so infinitely valued by their Creator, must be painful. I know your heart for teaching, and your experience doing it, so I'm sure you can truly understand the impact that schooling can have on these children. I hope the impact is brought into your home and family and that the impact is lasting. God be praised for DFN's efforts to love the unloved. Thanks for sharing your story and keeping us informed along the way.